Re: Cost of digital negs

Peter Mikalajunas (kd9fb@xnet.com)
Sat, 03 Apr 1999 16:42:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999 11:20:09 EST, DanPhoto@aol.com wrote:

>Peter,

>The Symbolic Sciences LightJet is an RGB device that exposes on
>"conventional" photographic materials. They can print quite large; I have
>some 30 x 50 inch output here. The results are stunning; the cost is
>commensurate. They can make negatives on Duratrans material (a
>translucent base) or DuraClear (a transparent base).

Well that certainly makes sense. Gamma does a big business with Duratrans for
trade shows and such.

>If you want to try a "digital" negative approach (via imagesetter on
>lithographic film), your costs will drop substantially, but you will
>encounter a few bends in the road to negative bliss (having to apply a
>contrast adjustment curve, etc). Last year I taught a workshop at the

I have a curve for Photoshop that is supposed to work. I have played around, it
is very easy to use.

>Chicago Art Institute and we used the service bureau listed below for
>output. A letter size negative cost $12.50 at that time. Their Agfa
>imagesetter a smaller unit; 14 x 18 inches is an ideal "large" size for
>them. Of course, you could position a number of smaller images on that
>larger film and realize additional economy.

>The Image Studio people were friendly and professional. It's a small
>business with lots of personal attention!

>Image Studio
>223 West Erie, Swt. 6NE
>Chicago, IL 60610
>312-944-2600

Fantastic! Thanks Dan. I will stop by there this week.

While I am interested in experimenting, the pricing was a put off. At this
level, it is worth it.