Re: New Epson photo printers

User659199@aol.com
Sun, 04 Apr 1999 08:30:14 -0400 (EDT)

Epson Stylus 900 works only with 4 colors (cymk) and printing quality is not
signifigant better than former models - it provides just higher speed so its
ideal for office works. Photo print quality is good but there are allways
clearly visible dots in the highlights.

New Epson Stylus Photo 750 uses 6 colors (additional light magenta and light
cyan)
and provides (photographic) printing quality as I have never seen before.
6 color technic isn't new, the secret seems to be mechanic and printing
management.

Indeed prints on Epson 750 are matching nearly the quality of traditional
materials and I can realy recommand it.

I use it as a proofing system with photo glossy paper (and it's better than
all professional proofs I have seen before) before I copy my image files on
CD-ROM for external imagine of films on a professional maschine with 4800dpi
/ 400lpi.

I tried to produce negs direct with Epson 750 but I failed - dyes do not dry
quick enough on trancparency materials - they do not stick quit good to the
film (although it has a special coating) and produce fine dots on it - does
anyone know how to handle this problem?

For quick tests with fine art papers such as Arche or Rives (to get an
impression of the final image or to check alternative image colors when
printing with gum or carbon) you have to ajust curve exspecially in the
middtones when using the 1440 dpi mode.

Epson Photo 1200 seems to the the model for large sized prints with sames
technique (as it uses the same dye-cardriges).

Hope this helps
Stefan Stecher