Re: Point vs. diffused light

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Mon, 05 Apr 1999 09:00:18 -0500

An interesting side detail about "barrier layers" is that they will
wreak havoc with print sharpness even under a point source if the point
source isn't directly overhead. When I was first experimenting with the
early version of Ziatype a few years ago and using a barrier which
proves not to be needed, I tried printing in winter sunlight (meaning
the sun isn't very far over the horizon) with a print frame lying flat
on the ground. Very nice if you want that soft-focus look. Turned the
print frame up and leaned it against the wall facing directly at the
sun, and got much sharper prints. This isn't an issue if you don't have
the barrier layer.---Carl