Enlarged inter-pos & negs

Hamish Stewart (hamish.stewart@wanadoo.fr)
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 00:47:56 +0100

Just wanting people's thoughts on the positive and negative sides of two
approaches to making enlarged negs indicated below - all feedback
appreciated.

1. Enlarged positive on lith film, dev in Dektol, high dilution - contact
to produce final neg (I currently use this method and get good results
for my gum prints - but I am thinking of making some changes!)

2. Enlarge positive to 4x5 on commercial film or equivalent (probably a
Bergger film here in Europe) Develop in D-19 or similar. Then enlarge 4x5
positive onto lith film in the high dilution dektol mentioned above.

Okay I know that this has been discussed before (and I have also used
method two but a long time ago), but I am interested to hear comments,
and any pitfalls of one method over another.

One additional question. As I use a shared darkroom I don't have the
facility to request red safelights. She tells me that she has done lith
film in her darkroom with multigrade safelights (orange ones) - have
others done this without fogging?

Cheers

Hamish Stewart

Gum Bichromate Photography