Re: Enlarged inter-pos & negs

FotoDave@aol.com
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 00:41:14 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 4/5/99, PM 06:57:36, alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca
writes:
<<1. Enlarged positive on lith film, dev in Dektol, high dilution - contact
to produce final neg (I currently use this method and get good results
for my gum prints - but I am thinking of making some changes!)

2. Enlarge positive to 4x5 on commercial film or equivalent (probably a
Bergger film here in Europe) Develop in D-19 or similar. Then enlarge 4x5
positive onto lith film in the high dilution dektol mentioned above.

Hamish,

I think the choice of lith film vs. commercial film for the interpositive
depends on the density range of your *original* negative. If it is short
range, you can use lith film for interpositive even with method #2. The
reason is because you can expose your whole range in the linear region. If it
is long range, it is easier to use a commercial or camera/contone film.

For long-scale original, you can also use masking method to fit the range
into the linear range of lith film, but if it is simply to reduce the range,
I don't think it is worth the effort of using a mask and would suggest to use
a contone film. However, masks can be used to alter the curve (for example,
to increase the contrast of shadows and reduce the contrast of highlights).
If you are doing curve change using masking, then lith film can be used even
for long-range originals.

The choice of enlarge-contact vs. enlarge-enlarge depends on your printing
method and whether the method can support extreme details. Theoretically,
each time you enlarge, the image is soften a little, but for me, I found that
the double enlargement works very well even when I do detailed gum although I
don't know how it works for other processes. If I remember correctly, you are
doing 8-12 printings for your gum print. I think double enlargement would
work fine.

Dave S