Re: Diatamaceous earth

Kevin O'Brien (kob@paradise.net.nz)
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 16:06:05 +1200

This is what the original was about:

>>as I also do gum and have wanted to try adding starch or other "tooth" to
the
>>size. Specifically, I think that adding starch to acrylic medium might
work.
>>When I get to it, I will let you (and the list) know.

>Try using diatomaceous earth which is used as a flatting agent in acrylic
>medium and paints. A little will add quite a bit of tooth without
significantly affecting the transparency.
>Any printing ink manufacturer should be able to give a can full which last
a lifetime.

I use it for making up paints and for matte overcoating. There are different
grades. Some are used for to absorb unpleasant liquids and to make what are
called wettable powders - that's probably what the roaches get. Others are
used as soil conditioners and in filters. The ones used in printing ink
manufacturing are pure white and microscopically fine. It may be that the
silica they contain is hazardous but we are dealing with only teaspoons at a
time so a rubber suit and breathing apparatus, while it might arouse some
people or thrill an OSH apparatchik, is hardly necessary. You quickly learn
a technique to handle this ultra light powder.
I still think printing ink or paint manufacturers are the best sources. They
are worthwhile cultivating as a source of industrial chemicals and resins -
where else can you get 5kg of gum rosin ? The best person to contact in them
is the chemist in charge, they're invariably very helpful.

Kevin O'Brien