Why Someone considered Mercury for Photography in early1800s?

Richard Bolt (dick.bolt@gsfc.nasa.gov)
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 10:06:08 -0400

Hi, I'm new to this listserver, but not to photo history.

 I've always wondered why someone would think of mercury in the early
1800s to use for photography. Was mercury known for fine droplets, and
therefore a good choice for fine detail? Was mercury one of few
chemicals that would stick to exposed silver nitrate?

Dick

In 1974 period I read every thing I could on making Salt Prints. I
spent several years experimenting. I did use Crane fine all rag paper
as someone else mentioned as a good choice. I however got my supply
from the Dalton dump as I lived in town in that period. Crane was
making the paper from mens underware rejects! Yes, rag is as rag was!

I tried alot different sizing and salt compounds to see what the colors
and results would be. I was researching and buying salt prints, so I
wanted to be able to make counterfits ( all mine have ID on back of
image section!) to be able to detect counterfits!

I am interested in Vectorgaphs. I wrote the Polaroid historian that
works at Harvard and was supposed to give a talk to PHSNE last weekend,
but go no response as of yet!