Re: Daguerreotype

Art Chakalis (achakali@gcfn.org)
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 09:39:47 -0400 (EDT)

Dick,

One added comment about Bob Shlaer's set-up. As I recall he had his
fuming boxes inside of a sealed case left out doors that was hooked up to
a large flexible vent tube (guessing it as at least 50 ft.long) which was
set down wind of the group.

The mercury and bromide fumes are nothing to play with. I remember Ken
Nelson describing the first time he and a few friends tried the process.
When they entered the room the next day after the test they noticed that
every single piece of exposed metal had the surface corroded (window &
sink & door) from the fumes. This dispelled any interest I had in using
the process. The redeeming fact is that Dags can have astounding detail
and beauty.

Sincerely, Art

PS - The earlier returned message was a problem with my provider.

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA