Cyanotype on bleached denim

Mac Legrandi (juicebox@my-dejanews.com)
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 18:13:40 -0800

Hello!

I have a project I could use some advice on. I need to print on bleached white denim. Using Liquid light would be easiest to project on this 40" wide fabric. But I think I will use Cyanotype. I've never made a neg that large.

1. Any advice (other than machine washing) the denim after the clothing bleach bath? I'm sure household bleach residue would effect cyanotype.

2. I'll have to build a large enough printing frame. Any advice on making an inexpensive vacuum frame?

The material can't be flattened completely. Some sort of presure from behind to get the tightest contact with the neg would be helpful.

I was even thinking about making a large inkjet neg. The Epson can print a 44" long print. With the uneven denim surface, the difference between a lith neg and a digital neg probably couldn't be seen.

3. I was considering soaking the end result in some type of clear hardening resin (maybe acrylic). Any ideas?

The piece will be displayed on the wall unframed.

Thanks

mac

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/ Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums