Re: 8x10 dupes and Pyro

William Laven (wmlaven@platinotype.com)
Thu, 08 Apr 1999 23:15:40 -0700 (PDT)

>I have a number of medium format negatives that I would like to enlarge to
>8x10 to print in Pt/pd/zia. I have been using lith reversal, but it can be
>a bit tedious. I was wondering if anyone has experience in taking a medium
>format or large negative, making a silver gelatin print (8x10) and then
>shooting a copy 8x10 negative and processing this in pyro. The 8x10 silver
>print could be controlled more easily, ie dodging and burning, less
>spotting, selenium toning, etc. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Gary Miller

While you can certainly get nice copy negs from a well made print, its
still a copy from a medium (ie a print) that simply can't come close to the
detail of film. When you compare lp/mm's of paper to film it just doesn't
come close.

Film to film is the way to go (or film to the digital realm wityh a myriad
of outputs). Far better to find a film to film soultion that you prefer to
the lith reversal approach you're using and find "tedious" (time to chime
in on many's succ. use of Freestyle lith film and pyro; see archives). Most
prefer pos to neg to pos rather than reversal and its lengthy processing,
etc, but the archives are filled with reports to the contrary there as
well. The point is, there are many ways to do film to film; somethings out
there that you should find preferable to your current approach and FAR
preferable to shooting off a print.

Bill

                           WILLIAM LAVEN PHOTOGRAPHY

   Workshops and tutorials in Platinum/Palladium printing and Zone System.

   1931 23rd Street, San Francisco, CA, 94107
   415-647-9432 (voice) 415-647-9438 (fax)
   wmlaven@platinotype.com
   http://www.platinotype.com