Re: toning formulas in book

Sil Horwitz (silh@iag.net)
Fri, 09 Apr 1999 03:04:13 -0400

At 99/04/09 02:39 AM -0400, Judy wrote:

>We've long asked why they don't reprint... now Steve Anchell has a book
>which I haven't seen, but which gets good marks all the way around. He
>says it has 20 toning formulas, and since that's still in print (Artcraft
>has it for $26) & has a lot of other good stuff as well, might be your
>best bet.
>
>Sorry, I left out the NAME of Anchell's book --
>
>_ The Darkroom Cookbook _ ... He has another, the Developer Cookbook or
>something like that, but that's a different one...

I have both books, and they are just what they are called - "cookbooks."
Formulas and ways to make them. Unlike Wall's out of print book, however, they
have no detailed descriptions of the techniques required for use of the
formulas. I might mention that, over the years, the PSA Journal has printed
many articles on techniques, including toning, but there are no archives. The
Society has been reprinting selected articles, but I don't recall any on
toning. The April issue (present one) has an article on improving prints by
bleaching, and a short piece on sepia toning. Personally, I wrote quite a bit
on the subject, but most of it is in articles published in the 1960's when I
was doing a lot of experimentation in the field. As far as I know, there is no
single book that covers just toning. It seems to be almost a lost art, what
with the preponderance of color prints. Also, permanence is suspect with all
toning outside of sepia (sulfide) and selenium.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
silh@iag.net
Visit http://www.psa-photo.org/