Re: Book search (toning DOP)

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 09 Apr 1999 13:53:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Jan van Dijk wrote:

> Toning D.O.P.
>
> 1. E.J. Wall's (and F.I. Jordan) Photographic facts and formulas has at
> least 4 editions:
> First ed. 1924, second ed. 1940, third ed. 1947 and fourth ed. 1976. (Info
> from my 3rd ed.).

Jan, I have a 1908 "The Photographic Annual, incorporating The Figures,
Facts & Formulae of Photography," edited by H. Snowden Ward, etc., which
is marked *Fourth Edition,* & my guess is that the Wall & Jordan is at
least based on that. In fact I'm about 102% certain that I have the
above-mentioned from about 1898 (as claimed yesterday!), but gremlins have
put it somewhere.

You are surely right about the poisons... just about everything calls for
*mercury,* which is in a way a relief, because we don't have so many we
have to try...

================
> 5. BJP 28 May 1992. p.16-19. Eric Matthews. "Once more into the bleach".
> Split-tone with selenium.

Does anyone have a good suggestion about getting a copy of that? In
recent years the BJP discontinued its INDEX, which has proved
discombobulating at the NY Public library...

Did you try that method by any chance Jan? Did it "work"? On any
particular paper?

> Did you also consider buying ready-made toning chemicals and/or kits? There
> was e.g. a "Colorvir" kit on the market (in 1996 at least). It was complete
> with a manual and at least 12 bottles. All colours one could think of were
> possible, including special effects.

The Colorvir (Edwal) was on then off then on & I'm pretty sure off the
market. There are now kits, Berg & Berg, among others, basically a way to
spend $16 for 16 cents worth of chemicals. The "chemistry" involved in
those formulas is VERY simple, and the ingredients -- the bluetone kit
uses same as cyanotype... for instance...

The Colorvir incidentally was fun, but quite expensive, amounts were
small, and about $40 for the kit... for a while I believe you could get
refills, but even then, it was cumbersome. My take on it, also, was that
with the exception of only one chemical (which I think I can make a guess
at), it was classic formulas with some dyes and, granted, some neat
tricks...

Judy