Re: Book search toning DOP, Colorvir and split-tone selenium.

Jan van Dijk (janvdijk@bart.nl)
Fri, 09 Apr 1999 20:27:43 +0200

>> 1. E.J. Wall's (and F.I. Jordan) Photographic facts and formulas has at
>> least 4 editions:
>> First ed. 1924, second ed. 1940, third ed. 1947 and fourth ed. 1976.
(Info
>> from my 3rd ed.).
>
>Jan, I have a 1908 "The Photographic Annual, incorporating The Figures,
>Facts & Formulae of Photography," edited by H. Snowden Ward, etc., which
>is marked *Fourth Edition,* & my guess is that the Wall & Jordan is at
>least based on that. In fact I'm about 102% certain that I have the
>above-mentioned from about 1898 (as claimed yesterday!), but gremlins have
>put it somewhere.
I think you are right that Wall and Jordan is based on that book. What
matters is that there is a good book out there with toning formulas from
1976 or later.

>> 5. BJP 28 May 1992. p.16-19. Eric Matthews. "Once more into the bleach".
>> Split-tone with selenium.
>
>Did you try that method by any chance Jan? Did it "work"? On any
particular paper?
I never tried that toning procedure, but seems interesting. Inproved tonal
range, good long term stability and a subtle colourshift. The four 4-colour
offset illustrations on page 17 showed the split-tone photo under differant
conditions. It works best with a somewhat darker printed print and with a
subject with a medium to high contrast. In this case a man with dark
trousers and a white shirt against a linnen background.

>The Colorvir incidentally was fun, but quite expensive, amounts were small,
and about $40 for the kit... for a while I believe >you could get refills,
but even then, it was cumbersome.
>Judy
The good thing about Colorvir was the richly illustrated book, which could
be bought seperately.

Jan van Dijk