Maintaining contact

Darlington Media Group (postmaster@mediaworkshop.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 11:34:58 +0100

Hi all,

Here is a tip that my good friend and neighbour, Dr Jim Lycett showed me
yesterday evening. For those list members that may be having trouble
maintaining proper contact between the film and paper when using contact
frames, especially relevant to those who use large film negatives.

Most contact frames use either rubber or closed cell foam (similar to a
mouse mat) as a backing to distribute the pressure when the frame is
closed. Take a black polythene bag from a packet of enlarging paper and
insert the foam pad from your contact frame and fold over the excess width
and tape along the long edge leaving the top open, Now fold over the top
edge and stick it down with another short piece of tape.

When inserted in the frame and the back is closed you can hear the air
escaping from plastic bag forming a pressure pad inside the frame. Simple!
though I haven't tried it with a big frame 'cos I ain't got one!

                Cheers .....Tony McLean