Re: Maintaining contact

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 10:41:54 -0400

Tony,

Here's another surprise factor for print frames. I'd had trouble with
lighter papers in my large (17x25) print frame, losing contact
especially at the seams between the three back panels and sometimes
under the spring frame attachment points. I did all sorts of things to
make the frame tighter, without success.

Then I needed to make a big run of silver proof prints from large
negatives (75 or more) and I loosened up the springs just to save my
hands during the half-day marathon of proofing. Then I forgot to
retighten them---and had no trouble at all when I next printed
hand-coated paper. I don't have all the answers yet, but my hypothesis
is that for this frame at least, too *much* pressure was causing the
problem. Buckling of the joints? Forcing the paper into a distorted
condition where the pressure was uneven under the seams? I dunno for
sure, but the loosened frame seems to work just fine.---Carl