Re: First Platnium/Palladium Print

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 18:17:51 -0400

William Laven wrote:
... Likes and dislikes are just the source of minor little
> squabbles and have nothing to do with an instructor's ability to teach a
> technical process.

But what is meant by like. If one can find no quality (of any sort) in
the workings of a prospective teacher of a photographic printing
process, they should seek advise elsewhere. If the best teacher in the
universe can't make a decent Pt/Pd print (one to my liking, immaterial
whether I like the subject), then there is no way I'm going to waste my
time with their BS even be it Piled Higher & Deeper. I bite my thumb at
those who claim to teach a process they have not done well.

This is no little squabble. Either they can make a Pt/Pd print or they
can't. Either they can utilize any particular process or they can't.
If their work demonstrates some quality, they certainly can teach me
their method. I'll certainly do exactly and precisely as they
demonstrate in hopes of minimizing those unforeseen pitfalls. And yes,
sometimes I just won't be able to duplicate their results. However the
chances for success are far better than the random results of following
hypothetical chat.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/