Re: ceramic images

Galina Manikova (galina@online.no)
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 21:54:18 +0200

Bob !

I have never tried it with glazes, but the idea is the same as underglazes
or overglazes. The problem is the thickness of the stuff, as it falls off
during the development process. Gelatin is a problem, just as it is in
direct carbon. What do you use as a carrier ? Gum, glue ?

As for the hazardous fumes - you have them always during the firing
processes. Some of the ceramic materials are much worse than dichromates.
Good ventilation is important.

I am fascinated by the transfers, that are mentioned. Valuable information,
thank you Sil !

Galina.

>>>Why not try multiple gum or temperaprint ? Just proceed in the usual way,
>>>only use ceramic pigments or salts. Pigments are kind of difficult just
>as
>>>it is difficult to use dry pigments for gum in general. We tried
>>>Phototempera a la Peter Charles Fredrick at Can Serrat last year and I
>just
>>>continued with it further, when I came home. It works just fine with both
>>>pigments and stains. I would recommend that to a newby, as one needs to
>know
>>>a bit more about chemistry in order to use salts in combination with the
>>>dichromates.
>

>The biggest problem is that the dichromate emulsion are a hazard to breath.
>If you do not have a kiln, make sure the person/company you use to fire the
>materials understands that the firing process releases hazardous fumes.
>
>Basically, you are using a dichromate sensitizer, a carrier and the ceramic
>glazes. Tiles are coated, dried, exposed and water developed. After drying,
>they are fired in a kiln.
>
>RM

Galina Manikova,
"The alternative alternative", Oslo.