Re: Cyanotype problem

jan zitzmann (zitzmann@gmx.de)
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:47:23 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Mac Legrandi wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I haven't done any printing since December. The A & B chemistry is about 8 months old. I was printing today of Strathmore Bristol board. My prints are very washed out. Even with very long exposures and a citric acid wash.
>
> I forget which one, but there is some growth in one of the chemicals. I just filtered it. Is the chemistry bad?
>
> I thought as long as you filtered it it was okay.
>
> On another subject, How can I switch to a digest of this list if it is available?

Citric acid or its salts support the growth of mould very well, i.e.
mould aerobically decomposes the citrate do gain energy. That's probably
what your growth was.

Mike Ware proposes a new Cyanotype-process
(http://www.mikeware.demon.co.uk/cyano.html) which uses the oxalate
instead of the citrate. This Process also has other advantages over the
classical process (see his page).

I have not tried the process yet, but if ypou plan to do so, please let
me know your experiances.

Cheers,

Jan Zitzmann