Re: Too much equipment

Kevin O'Brien (kob@paradise.net.nz)
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 10:18:17 +1200

There is a thrill from viewing a ground glass image and there is magic
watching one appear in the developer.
Each camera has a way of seeing but the eye behind the camera is more
important. I can imagine an 11x14 view but I couldn't lug camera like that
where my vision and the camera's would match. Over 500 new moon's ago I
lugged my first SLR, A Thornton Pickard Ruby Reflex, up into the bush for
some very special photos, more so as the ground glass broke and had to make
do with a piece of cellophane dipped in the frypan.
You learn to see to match your camera. Recently I have been checking out an
old Premo 4x5 box camera with 105º wide angle view. It's light enough to
take into the field and for point & click. I hope to update my portfolio of
my home city with it. I'm also going to pick up an old brownie. Looking at
some of my early photos from one of them they're just what I'm looking for
now and should print beautifully on a deep neutral black..
Digital work has a place and will become increasingly important. During the
last year I have been gathering up, scanning and restoring photos for the
family history. None could do in the darkroom what is possible at the
computer; even faded colour prints can be restored.

Kevin O'Brien