Re: Digital is not *easier* [Was: Too much equipment]

Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 13:26:01 -0700

> > The next issue, which scares me the most, is with the wholesale
embracing of
> > this new technology to create images, what is to keep the companies we
count
> > on to continue to supply us with materials in which to do our work?
Don't
> > tell me that there will always be film. We don't know that. It is
corporate
> > profits that will determine our future, not the needs of some fringe
elements
> > of our society. That's all of us by the way. There are already ominous
signs.
> > Kodak has virtually abadoned its large format customers. They no longer
> > supply and catalog large format film (larger then 8 X 10) as they used
to.
> > They have discontinued several products including Super XX that was once
> > mainstay to many photographers. Even Ilford, who filled this vacuum for
> > while, is no longer stocking large sizes anymore and now require a
minimum
> > order of 20 boxes. At $188.00 a box for 14 X 17 film, that's a lot of
money.
> > We still have Bergger now, but how long is that going to last. Secondly,
> > camera dealers in the network I work with have reported a significant
drop in
> > the demand for large format cameras in the last 6 months and my business
has
> > also been affected. Like a canary in a coal mine, these winds bare no
glad
> > tidings. I certainly am not proposing every one run out and buy a large
> > camera ( though I think that would be great), this interest in digital
may be
> > appealing in the short term, but will it cause the death of film based
image
> > making as we know it? Will there still be film available 10 years from
now?

> I am concerned about this as well. However, the tiny group of us
alt-digital
> people will never impact any decision with a film manufacturer. They will
do as
> they see fit. I voice my opinion by buying 4x5 and 5x7. You voice yours
with
> the larger sorts. I think embracing digital is the best bet, big film
will
> become increasingly hard to get. That is just the fact.
>

> Best, and thanks for a good topic.
> -Adam

I promised myself I'd try to stay out of emotional issues because I tend to
attack; but I must say, Adam; you and the rest of us are exactly what the
big companies are looking toward to know what to do.

When I go to buy my Cirkut film and they tell me they'll make anything, so
long as it will sell enough to make it -- now, they go farther and say "You
can order from us, and we'll make it -- no break on price and the minimum is
not the dealers quantity but the BROKERS quantity."

It is just this group who can make the difference. In fact, I bet if
Sullivan got pledges and deposits from us, they'd make Pan XX again --
$8,000 worth at up dated prices pr.

Go make pictures, use digital, have fun. I'm dead serious; and you
mentioned print: Going from digital into print is exactly what it was made
for, in my view; but NOW it becomes aparent ... if we don't stand up for
what we want the big companies will roll over us.

To compare glass plates with roll film, or Pan XX with digital output is not
fair. These kinds of off the wall points arouse emotinal arguments.

Tools are what's needed to use, people are used to being needed.
S. Shapiro, Carmel, CA