Re: Digital is not easier

Michael Keller (keller@wvinter.net)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 21:27:44 -0400

A remark further uplist reminded me of this story:

A friend does digital painting. He literally starts working in Painter and
Photoshop, using an old tablet and old Mac (and Pshop 2, I believe; the
guy's poor), and builds his paintings on the computer. He eventually has
them output, hopefully by Nash when he can afford it, as large prints. Some
galleries and museums will accept them that way; for some, he has to go and
do a little "real" painting on the image because if there's no physical
paint on the page, they don't consider it painting.

Now I was able to observe an exhibition jurying, and this fellow had a piece
accepted. It came time to award the prize money, and two of the jurors
wanted to give him a $5000 award. But the third juror, who was a painter
himself, from the south and very traditional in his style, moaned, "I can't.
I just can't." They gave him a lesser award.

I think digital imaging has enough bigotry against it that we really don't
need to make up anymore bugaboos. Give it a chance to be accepted on merit,
like anything else.