Re: Digital is not *easier* (Dan takes bait)

Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 18:28:39 -0700

Subject: Re: Digital is not *easier* (Dan takes bait)

> Whoa there Steve! Let's remember the FIRST uses of photography, and what
> advanced the state thereof: studies for paintings. Commercial use always
drives
> the development, the art surely comes after.

Take my words for personal remarks, but I studied art history long enough to
be a part of it.

My opinion holds that digital art and photography is manipulation not the
finess of the art, and there's a contradiction to that, too. It depends
onhow it's used.

I firmly stand on the conviction that it's a seperate medium. No one, not a
person or single voice objected to the replacement of glass plates by film.
That's not the issue.

The digital format feeds a need. The commercial market and for a
photographer to show an art director what the mag. spread will look like is
great.

To put a magazine spread on the wall is -- thus far and to include what
they've got at the Ansel Adams Gallery in Pebble Beach -- not my cup of tea.
I repeat, Ansel wanted it for himself, too.

S. Shapiro