Re: Digital is not *easier* [Was: Too much equipment]

Darryl Baird (dbaird@flint.umich.edu)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 23:06:55 -0500

> Lastly, how will the people who buy photographs think about images made on a
> computer? I was talking with one of my dealers on the phone tonight and he
> has serious concerns about the negative responses many people are having to
> digital based imagery. This was an issue I hadn't thought about. As we are
> all aware, there is still an on-going battle, though largely won, to have
> people accept photography as an art because of its creation by mechanical
> means.

I agree and how long did this take? Let's not too wrapped up with this
decade.

The movement towards the electronic image is maturing as is the "art". I
don't think some places/dealers will ever handle digital. Many galleries
won't handle photography, so what? I too have sold my digitally created
work to museums and other collecting institutions of photography. The
bottom line for them (and me) is the image. I think Steve is right,
there is a difference, but it makes little or no difference to the
bigger fish.
I don't sell well, at all, to individuals. Why, maybe the hype aimed
against digital images by those with vested interests, maybe the subject
matter, maybe it's too cheap, maybe I'm not "collectable". Who knows...I
don't care. I want to make images. I want to make paper, I want to make
hand-coated images on nice paper, I want to experiment and find other
venues and other voices. For me, the constant bickering about computers
is a parochial smoke screen. I also agree with Steve about the loss of
film stocks, but I'm not changing my art, to save film. I changed film.
sorry, I was "geared" for digital. I knew this in 1982 making laborious
Kwik-Print images. I sought a different tool.

I like printmaking, I like printing photos equally, but I like
constructing images from my mind. I use lens to gather my images, I
still believe I'm a photographer. I only use the term for those who have
a need to "understand" the imagery as having captured reflected light.
Sue me, it is easier.

--Darryl