Re: Digital is not *easier* [Was: Too much equipment]

Richard Lahrson (tripspud@hooked.net)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 00:39:37 -0700

Greetings!

     I was away from photographing for a period of about twenty years, to
pursue an interest in music. I taught myself some piano. I learned on
an old upright. This is analog. Digital keyboards look somewhat like
a piano keyboard. They can sound something like a piano. Digital
keyboards are often used to replace live musicans in film scores and
other applications. Digital will not replace "live" performance music
in orchestas, bands, ballets, operas, jazz clubs and concerts and
street musicans.

     Digital photography is being used currently in professional
advertizing, catalog photography, mass market snapshot photography
and partly in alternative processes, as I see from reading this list.

     Digital is the "new toy". Photography has had a short history
compared to music's history. It will be interesting to watch, in the
near future, if there is enough tradition to keep analog photography
alive. The problem is complicated, as has been mentioned, by the
photographer's reliance on available materials and film sizes which
are controlled by the market.

                                Have a happy,

                                                        Rich Lahrson
                                                        tripspud@hooked.net