Re: waxing negs

Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 15:07:28 +0000

Campos & Davis Photos wrote:
>Sil Horwitz wrote:
> >>In Britain, "paraffin" is what we Americans (and chemists) call
> "kerosene."<<
> I'm not so sure about this as my Mother tells us that liquid paraffin is
> prescribed by doctors here as an oral remedy for constipation. Perhaps the
> medical profession knows something we dont!!!

I think someone told me once that what is called "liquid paraffin" in
Britain is equivalent to what we call mineral oil in the US, which is
used for the purpose described above. (I searched for it in hardware
stores for a while before someone suggested I should be looking at the
pharmacy.) I find mineral oil an ideal substance for oiling paper
negatives as it doesn't get sticky or rancid or turn yellow as some of
the vegetable oils do.
Katharine Thayer