Re: [Re: Digital is not *easier* [Was: Too much equipment]]

Michael Keller (keller@wvinter.net)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 23:21:31 -0400

=?UNKNOWN?Q?Str=F6m?= wrote:

> ARE MAGAZINES AND OTHER PUBLICATIONS CURRENTLY USING DIGITAL INPUT. NOT!
> THEY STILL USE PHOTOGAPHS PRODUCED IN THE TRADITIONAL MANNER.

Not so. There are a number of studio photographers who have gone all digital, with
scanning backs for their studio cameras, producing photos for advertising which run
full color in magazines. No, not photojournalists, although the AP and several
newspaper chains have gone digital, but that's what I meant by 80-100lpi screens.
Nikon and Canon digital cameras are fine for that.

Here's a fun one. I have a friend with a studio who has gone semi digital. He has
one of those Fuji or Fujix printers, tied to a Mac running Pshop, with a small drum
scanner. He shoots film (although he can "Polaroid" with a digital camera), then
processes and scans the negs, retouches and produces real photographic prints, b&w
or color, up to 16x20, right from his desktop.