Re: HEY, KODAK! Re: Digital is not *easier*

DanPhoto@aol.com
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 23:19:55 -0400 (EDT)

In your email you stated...

>BTW, if Kodak, Fuji, Nikon and Canon thought film was disappearing in ten
>years they would not have invested the tons of money they did in the
>Advanced Photo System.

Don't you agree it's exciting to witness in our time the VERY LAST FILM
FORMAT that will EVER be introduced? APS seems like a somewhat clumsy way
to combine some of films best attributes with some of digital's. When you
think about it, the info that is encoded on the film (on the better APS
cameras) benefits the photofinishers, not the photographer directly.
Seems APS is a gimmick that gets the amateur market buying new cameras
(and film that is more expensive and SMALLER than 35, meaning larger
profit margins) until digital matures in a few years. But in ten years,
consumer film cameras will be second shelf items ("Uh, do you have any
cameras that use film?").

Understand, I shoot film, love film, and waste film. But when the
quality/cost issue gets there, I'm jumping...and I bet that jumping point
is within a year or two. Heck, it's the photons that are cosmic. It
matters not whether they are striking silver salts or silicon!

Dan