Imagesetter Output Going Away....

FotoDave@aol.com
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 15:19:10 -0400 (EDT)

I am feeling a little sad typing this, but we are witnessing a lot of changes
in technology, and 3 years from now, you probably won't be able to get any
imagesetter output anymore.

I never mentioned this to the list, but my work/business is closely related
to digital imaging, so I received all kind of trade journals (not just
magazines). In one recent issue of a trade journal (I can't remember which
now, so many that I receive), there is a special article about the "dying" of
service bureaus. The article mentions that many bureaus have closed their
doors and most service bureaus that still exist have to extend their services
to doing design work since they can't survive by just doing film output.

And the reason to this is of course, the technology has moved one step
forward, and the current technology is direct-to-plate imaging without going
through the extra step of film making. For short-run printing, it is
direct-to-print even without the plate. These direct-to-plate equipments are
very expensive, so they are only owned by big printers with million-dollar
investment; but not surprisingly, these printer houses will also output
plates for other printers. It simply doesn't make sense to do film output
anymore.

Of course, this is only in trade journals, right? How real is it? How soon
will that happen? About 2 weeks I called up a small bureau (one-person
bureau) that I have used and asked if he still did film output. No. I guess
the demand is so small that it is a pain to keep the chemistry fresh and the
system calibrated. There is another one bureau that I have used (larger one
with more modern equipment). The owner called me just 10 minutes ago. He is
closing the door and is selling his drum scanner, imagesetter, inkjet
large-format printer, etc.

How does this affect us alt. process printer? I guess you can look at it
positively or negatively. As I said, in 3 years, most imagesetters will
probably be gone (the direct-to-plate equipment manufacturers will market
agressively against film output). You can probably buy used imagesetter
cheap, but you will have to maintain the obsolete equipment yourself. Kodak
or other film manufacturers will not make imagesetter film anymore, but
interestingly, I think the ordinary camera film or graphics-art film will
remain since if you need film, you can't go through imagesetter route
anymore. There might be less option for camera films, but some will remain.

Of course, another option is that since the direct-to-plate equipment can
expose plate directly, it can probably expose your UV emulsion; so some new
bureaus might offer that services.

My feeling (can't say it's right because none of us can predict future) is
that since in the commercial world, there will be no need for film, then film
will remain (strange logic, isn't it? But somehow some will always have the
need for film. If you cannot get the output easily through imagesetter, then
somehow there will still be a market for film). Basically my logic is 3-5
years for now, there will be no need for film in the commercial world,
*therefore* there will be film remaining in the fine-art world.

I know I suggested not to argue/debate about the future of photography, and I
am not trying to, but I am just sharing the information that I have about
imagesetters.

Also, is anyone interested in buying a used imagesetter? The owner mentioned
about $20,000 with the rip and the workstation.... a complete system I have
no connection with the owner at all (don't even know him personally except
getting a few outputs from him). If you are interested, I can give you his
phone number. (He is in Southeast Michigan).

Dave S