Re: negative life span

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Mon, 10 May 1999 17:20:51 -0400

Dan,

I'm not sure just how damaging sunlight printing is to a negative,
though I do know that they can get really *hot* in an exposure that
lasts ten minutes or more. Also don't know if any toning process would
offer protection. But one consideration would be that you can print
successfully with indirect sunlight: that is, a print frame placed in
open shade under a blue sky will be exposed to enough UV light to print
a "normal" negative just fine in twenty minutes or so (zia or ag-POP),
and will remain nice and cool. POP methods are obviously useful here to
allow for inspection of the developing/printing image. Using daylight to
print develop-out UV-sensitive processes puts too much wear and tear on
the print maker <s>.

---Carl