Nelson's Gold toner

Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Mon, 17 May 1999 19:08:01 +0000

Don and company-

Don Bryant wrote:
>I had no problems achieving a very nice warm tone with Ilford Multigrade
III >FB, Multigrade IV FB, and Forte FB VC.

Apologies: you are quite right Don.... I responded to this perhaps too
hastily while waiting for my BONDO to setup (the salt environment on old
cars and trucks at inspection time - one down side to living on the coast...)

The Ilford and Kodak cold toned papers *will* respond, I didn't mean to
imply they wouldn't. But in my experience, they take alot of time and
patience to achieve this - and then only give conditional results. In my
experience, warm toned papers respond so much easier, and with more nuance
and visual interest - but this may be a personal preference. I generally
steer people using cold toned Ilford and Kodak papers toward the
bleach/redevelop toners like sepia and thiocarbimide....

As to the posting regarding the use of hardener in the fix: I believe it
has a serious inhibiting effect on any subsequent toning - and seems most
especially deleterious to the split-toning processes I employ. It is an
excellent issue to raise, and pertinent to the original question. This
issue alone could account for Andy Buck's problems.

Best-

Jon Bailey
St. George, Maine