Re: Nelson's Gold toner

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 17 May 1999 22:37:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Jonathan Bailey wrote:

> As to the posting regarding the use of hardener in the fix: I believe it
> has a serious inhibiting effect on any subsequent toning - and seems most
> especially deleterious to the split-toning processes I employ. It is an
> excellent issue to raise, and pertinent to the original question. This
> issue alone could account for Andy Buck's problems.

Hope I will be excused for asking what may be a really DUMB question,
since I've never used nelson gold toner -- but unless you're using it in
some special combo, it was my UNDERSTANDING that it's used for archival
purposes rather than color change. I draw on memory here, but to get it
blue, or red, doesn't it have to be with something else?

The reason I ask this, laying myself wide open to what is bound to be
INSTANT correction, is that it occurred to me to wonder what it is Andy is
looking for and NOT getting that makes him say he's failing. Because,
especially with cold tone paper, you don't see a lot of change I believe
with just plain gold, nicht wahr? And unless you have a matched print wet
in another tray you might be getting change you don't notice.
(Instructions often are to tone by comparison that way.)

As far as hardening fixer inhibiting toning, my experience, BTW, is that
it doesn't with the, let's call it dynamite toners. I used to teach toning
workshops where students brought their ready-made prints to tone, all of
which had been fixed with hardener. I never noticed any difference in the
way theirs toned, and the way my own prints toned in the same formulas, my
own having been fixed in non-hardening fix.

I myself don't see any particular reason for a hardener in fix, and the
paper washes better, quicker without it -- and unless you're planning to
leave your prints in the holding bath for a week, what's hardener for?
(Film is a different matter, of course.) But as I say, just with the
garden variety toners, I think some of that is NOT true... though I could
surely believe that GOLD is more temperamental...

In any event... Andy -- what did you not find that you should have?

Judy