Re: Nelson's Gold toner

Don Bryant (dsbryant@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 17 May 1999 23:21:49 -0400

Jonathan,

I agree headily with your comments that toning can get sort of longish, I
usually tone for at least 15 minutes as the dry print will be less intense
than it appears wet. Sort of a dry up effect. Also the degree and color of
toning is more subdued than bleach and redevelop toner types. I find it a
very desirable toner for portraits (Nelson gold toner that is). Sometimes I
have difficulty deciding which version of a print I prefer toned or untoned.
I usually opt for untoned versions in those cases.

And yes I do not ever use hardener in my fixer (for film or paper), so I
didn't even consider that possibly for causing problems.

Oh, BTW does anyone know why this toner was named Nelson gold toner? Just
curious.

Don Bryant