Re: Ilford

Altview@aol.com
Tue, 18 May 1999 20:56:52 -0400 (EDT)

One of the truisms in photography when you ask someone what film and
developer they use is that they all have the perfect formula that won't work
for you. For everyone who thinks pyro is the photo god's gift to our medium,
there are others who use something else with absolutely comparable results.
The only way to achieve the results that work for the kind of imagery you are
doing is to try several variations. Each film and each developer combination
will all give perfectly acceptable results. Often the debates on the
superiority of one combination over another is like discussing how many
angels dance on the head of a pin. Sometimes the quality of the image
supercedes the methodolgy of film processing. Sometimes the choice is about
health and safety, one reason I choose not to use pyro. The potential and
very real health risk is , for me, not worth any minute quality difference.
Sometimes the choices come down to the price and availibilty of the film, not
to which is superior. I too photograph with 12 X 20, among others, and have
worked with both HP5 and Bergger film. I use HC-110 in dilutions B and E.
These work for me. My advice is to use other people's suggestions as a point
of departure, find a combination you like, and then work with it until you
get what you are looking for. One disagreement I have with Carl's post is
that 1 sheet at a time developing in a tray dramatically increases your
chances of mottling and unevenness. 2 to 4 sheets at a time will give you
much better and more even results. Just remember to lay them face or emulsion
side down and while shuffling them through the stack, never pull them out
from the bottom at a diagonal, as the sheets above will scratch. I routinely
develop 12 X 20 and 14 X 17 with from between 4 to 8 sheets at a time with no
scratches and perfect development. If you have any further questions about
this or the camera, please feel free to contact directly.

Patrick Alt