Angels Dancing on Pin Heads. Was Re: Ilford

Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Tue, 18 May 1999 21:36:35 -0400

But is not the question of film/developer question not so much one of how
many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but what dance are they doing,
and how well do they dance? Waltz, Samba, Merengue, Foxtrot? Beginner,
intermediate, advanced. Though ultimately the only thing that really
matters is that the angels just keep dancing, because that is where the fun
is!

Now, if the dancing is the different/film combiantions we use, there is no
question in my mind but that we can get the results desired from very wide
variety of film/developer combinations. So much for the dancing. But what
about the steps?

Which is to say, if you can develop 8 sheets of 12X20 film at a time in
tray and get excellent results, with no mottling, uneveness, or scratches,
more power to you, Patrick. I can not, and don't think that many of us
mortals can.

For all the reasons stated above, and others not mentioned, I agree with
Carl that the best way to process 12X20 film in tray is one sheet at a
time, or at least one sheet at a time per tray. But more specifically, I
don't understand how processing several sheets at a time will give, as you
suggest, "much better and more even results". Is there something about the
laminar flow of several sheets interacting that works to give better and
more even development than doing the sheets one at a time? I believe you
would find it difficult or impossible to actually prove this point.

But hey, I tango very poorly.

Sandy King