Pyro negs and stain

Lukas Werth (werthlvk@zedat.fu-berlin.de)
Wed, 19 May 1999 11:45:48 +0200

Dear list,
I have a few pyro negs which do not print well as Ziatypes or chysotypes.
They look flared, with reduced contrast. They are all taken in bright
sunlight, and are quite dense. What puzzles me is that I have many other
negs which look very similar by inspection, and print perfectly. On closer
inspection, however, they seem to have a somewhat excessive overall stain.
Has anybody made a similar experience? How can this be prevented? What
mistake did I do in taking or processing? Any suggestions?
I want to reduce the stain now according to the instructions of Gordon
Hutchings. He advises to keep the neg in a bath of acedic acid and sodium
sulphite. My Question: it seems to me the sodium hydrogen sulphite should
have the same effect. Is this true? And, is this procedure also possible
with negs who are already some weeks/months old?
Lukas