Calibrating output (digital)

Adam Kimball (akimball@finebrand.com)
Wed, 19 May 1999 14:40:47 -0700

Here is a theoretical question for all you digital buffs. I am wondering how it
would be possible to assign reflection densities to rgb densities (photoshop
densities) in a purely abstract manner. The upshot of this would be that I
could design a "curve" for a given material w/o relying on visual judgements. I
could simply plot the characteristic curve of the paper using analog
step-tablets and digital ones. Next, I could somehow map the digital values to
the analog ones (or vice-versa). I'm sure this must be possible, at least
theoretically, but I've never heard.. Anyone know?

-Adam