Re: Indoors film speed

Ström (strom_photo@usa.net)
Wed, 19 May 1999 22:17:31 -0400 (EDT)

In another posting I described my handling of exposure, development and
printing of negatives from indoor and outdoor photography. I mentioned in
passing that I use a Hasselblad camera. I did not mention that I use the same
spot meter in both circumstances, which is a Minota Flash Metre IV. It is
effective for spot metering reflective light in both flash and incident
settings. I have checked it against camera meters and incident meters
(Sekonic and Minolta). The Hasselblad camera I use requires lenses with copal
(leaf) shutters. The fastest shutter speed is 1/500 second and the slowest
(camera controlled) is 1 sec. In studio I always use 1/125, whether handheld
or tripod. I vary the strobe power to accommodate this. For outdoor
photography I always use a tripod and vary the shutter/aperature according to
the metered light, film speed, and depth of field. I do not work in the realm
that requires compensation for reciprocity error. The use of a strobe (in my
studio a 2400 watt strobe is sufficient for my work) demonstrates that indeed
shutter speed is usually irrelevant. There is one exception, however, that
should be noted. When using a leaf shutter, the strobe in use my limit the
shutter speed. For example, the strobe synchronization may not permit a
shutter speed of let us say 1/500. The fastest shutter may only be 1/250 or
even 1/125. This can be easily measured with a good spot meter. Since I
invariably use 1/125 as my shutter speed, I can rely on the relationship
between the strobe power setting, reflective spot meter, and the camera's
aperature. It is not wise to vary a shutter speed while in the studio--it
should be kept the same for all work. Outdoors is another matter and depth of
field and lighting conditions will dictate what is required.

Ström

    Date:
         Wed, 19 May 1999 18:47:36 -0700