Re: Indoors film speed

Ström (strom_photo@usa.net)
Wed, 19 May 1999 22:27:25 -0400 (EDT)

In practice, I haven't found to be true the discrediting of spectral
differences between strobe and sunlight. After all, a strobe light itself may
vary according to the manufacturer of the the light and the power source,
since both are involved. Also strobe bulbs have various properties that are
advertised. I pay very little attention to these and adjust my work according
to what is available.

The film in use is possibly more important than strobe versus sunlight. I use
Tmax 100 for most of my work, but occasionally I use Tri-X professional 120
(360 ASA) or 120 Technical Pan. Technical Pan is VERY red sensitive. The
spectral sensitivities are published in Kodak's various professional film
books, but I am practical rather than preemptive. So I suffer failures.
Outdoor work with Technial Pan can be frustrating. It works fine with
strobes. I do machine develop (JOBO) and this does present problems
(Technical Pan developer for 120 will suds up and cause bels that produce
uneven negative development--an article several, maybe 10 years ago, about
development in color print developer as opposed to POTA developer would
produce negatives with a better tonal range).

Ström

    Date:
         Wed, 19 May 1999 17:40:02 -0700