Re: Modified Zia Formula

Darlington Media Group (postmaster@mediaworkshop.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 21 May 1999 21:29:57 +0100

Hi,

The method I use for Zia's with Platine is to coat the paper and let it dry
naturally for about 15 minutes in the darkroom, where the ambient humidity
is about 70% (pretty standard over here in the U.K) The paper is deemed
ready when the surface is dry and a reservoir of moisture can still be felt
on the reverse side.

Whilst making some Zia's last weekend I used a generous 16 drops each of
FAO and LiPd for an 8x10. I noticed immediateley that this was too much for
a rod coated print,ten passes of the rod instead of my usual five, but the
emulsion did soak in eventually!

The fascinating thing was that the two prints that I made this way, both
showed heavy solarisation of the black borders. Matters returned to normal
when I reduced the drop count to 12 drops each (24 drops in total). Perhaps
less is more. ;-)

Incidentally, I have still not got around to trying Jefferey's Pd rich
formula, though I have made up a batch of sensitiser to his formula. I will
do soon!

                        Regards ....... Tony McLean.