Re: Question about FX-2

Eduardo Benavidez (benavi@impsat1.com.ar)
Fri, 21 May 1999 18:53:24 -0300

Sandy, I used this beautiful developer, but only a few times.

If I not use it more and more times, is merely because we in Argentina cant get
fresh glycin to mix the FX-2.

In other words, I love this developer, wich has similar effects tha the
Paterson Acutol (FX-14). Both the Acutol and the FX-2 were formulated by
Crawley. Both, as the FX-1 (also by Crawley) are high acutance, non-solvent
type developers. My photographic taste accept and ENJOY the grainier images
these developers build up, unlike the fine grain, solvent developers.

You can read more about these matters, in The Film Developing Cookbook.

As per the use of the FX-2, I experienced both normal and stand developing.
Both got me sharp, full range prints. The acutance is greater when using the
stand developing (about one and a quart hour without agitation!!!).

Concerning your question about the use of potassium carbonate crystals, not
anhydrous (the crystal form is said to give a slight bicarbonate buffer
effect), this mean as a general rule, that when you use crystals, there is a
chemical reaction wich produces BICARBONATE, wich plays the rol of BUFFER agent
(i.e. maintaining the same developer activity during the whole developing
time). Read about the buffering effect in The F.D.Cookbook.

...and how might the same effect be gotten with the anhydrous variety?

Sorry, I dont know.
And sorry I cant easily say more about this questions, because my poor English.

Regards and ENJOY this superb home made developer!

Eduardo Benavidez.