Re: Modified Zia Formula

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Sat, 22 May 1999 08:18:57 -0400

Gary,

The Arches Platine Tony is printing on demands dramatically different
handling from Cranes Platinotype. The sizing is completely different and
responds to the coating action much more slowly, requiring many more
passes--though because the paper is very dense and tough, this extra
action doesn't cause any abrasion or other physical problems as it would
on many other papers. It also thrives on the very high humidity level
Tony mentions, while I find the Cranes material impossible to work with
that wet.

Cranes likes to be stored dry and misted just before coating. Storing it
at high humidity does not work well at all. With Platine, storing it dry
and misting works poorly, while storing, coating, and drying all in a
humid environment works like a charm. You'd think from a procedural
standpoint that you were working in two different processes if you try
to print with the same chemicals on these two papers. The resulting
prints will be dramatically different too.

 I like and use both papers, but I don't print on them both in the same
session because I have to set drastically different lab conditions for
them.

---Carl