Fwd: Re: Modified Zia Formula

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Fri, 21 May 1999 12:00:33 -0600

Just a note on color control:

Both the Ware system and Ziatype spring from Guiseppe Pizzighelli's
Pizzitype system. The Ziatype is unique in several ways. One it can produce
a totally neutral black. It also has independent color and contrast
controls. In the other systems color and contrast were coupled and
dependent on the humidity in the paper. In the Ziatype the humidity and
color are controlled independently by chemical controls. BUT.... only at a
fixed humidity point. If the print is very damp, most everything will print
neutral black, even a 100% cesium palladium print. If it is too dry it LIPD
will grain and brown up on you.

[Tungsten as an additive is an interesting creature and needs more
investigation. I think it functions much the same a mercury did in early
platinum formulations but of course it is a far far safer compound to use.]

There is a mid range plateau of humidity that is not too wet and not too
dry where cesium prints brown and lithium prints black. With a little
practice it is quite easy to hit a spot on this wet/dry plateau.

Carl's point is well taken: it isn't difficult and we don't need to make
something difficult or mystical out of it. We are both anti holy grail.
There is no one right way to make a print, only a way that is right for you
to make that particular print.

We now have hundreds if not over a thousand Zia printers out there. Of
course it is my baby (with Carl's help in helping me make a rational system
out of it) and I am biased, but my take is that 90%+ of those who try the
Ziatype, stay with it and abandon the Anderson D.O. method unless they have
legacy editions to print. Frequently folks will stop by B+S to show us work
and often they will have a negative with them. I continue to even myself by
almost always making a really good Ziatype print from their negative on the
first shot.

Unlike Carl, I do make money on each kit sold but there is only a slight
percentage difference between a Zia Pd chemistry and the traditional. In
the long run the Zia probably costs less due to the higher success ratio
and the fact that no developer is needed. We get em either way.

--Dick Sullivan

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com>http://www.bostick-sullivan.com
http://www.workingpictures.com