Re: Brush vs Rod

Altview@aol.com
Sun, 23 May 1999 00:31:23 -0400 (EDT)

In my work, because of the different size cameras I use, I work with both the
rod and the brush. I use the rod on 8 X 10 and 11 X 14, but found it to
difficult to work with on 12 X 20 and 14 X 17 due to the paper buckling on
those sizes. I went back to using a brush on the bigger prints and do not see
any difference in quality, surface, or evenness between the two forms of
coating. When I first started printing 12 X 20's I had a custom glass rod
made for the size, but struggled against the paper warping under the moisture
from the sensitizer. When I started to print 14 X 17 negatives, I went back
to the brush and got beautiful results, which in turn caused me to abandon
the rod for the 12 X 20s. I think results would be indistinquishable between
the two methods once one has mastered both. I found an absolutely beautiful
brush at Pearl Art Supplies in Los Angeles that is a long natural bristle
brush in a long wooden handle with no metal ferrule. A trick I use to make
the brush less absorbent to the sensitizer is to literally shave and taper
the bristles using a standard shaving razor, in my case a Gillette Atra.
Using the razor, I shaved and tapered the brush to a much finer point and
eliminated about 50% of the bristles to keep from wasting some much of the
sensitizer. The 2" brush costs about $18.95 and has a very long dark red
handle. The brush has no markings on it, so if anyone wants to order one, a
description would be the only way to describe it. It has a band of black
paint just above the bristles. The shaving technique also works well for sumi
brushes.

Patrick Alt