Re: potassium chlorate

SCHRAMMR@WLSVAX.WVNET.EDU
Mon, 24 May 1999 21:17:27 -0400 (EDT)

You will find a discussion of the use of Potassium Chlorate use for contrast
control in "Keepers of Light." However, I have found that when potassium
chlorate is used, the sensitized paper will act strange under conditions
of high humidity resulting in mottling of the final print. Some folks use
heat drying to avoid this but this could cause flaking off of the sensitizer
which could be breathed by the darkroom worker. I personally prefer to
avoid this. Frankly, if you start with a good "platinum-engineered" negative
there is no need for contrast control. I understand that hydrogen peroxide
may be used for contrast control but have never tried it. I might suggest
Luis Nadeaus book on Platinum Printing as well as the recently published
book on Platinum Printing by Richard Sullivan et al. since the cost of
platinum printing is so high you might want to go into it with all the
information you can find.

Good luck and happy printing,

Bob Schramm