Re: Nelson's Gold Toner, further notes

Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Tue, 25 May 1999 06:53:04 -0700

Greetings-

>>The theory for refixing, or one of them, is that some silver from the
>>hypo-alum bath might lodge in the paper, and darken in time. By re-fixing
>>that would be dissolved out.
>>Judy

>That makes sense. Both coventional hypo-alum and Nelson's have silver
>dissolved in them and gain more when they are used.
>Richard Knoppow

I have often wondered about the necessity of re-fixing after Nelson's...
but I use the hypo-alum sepia toner as well and have never re-fixed - no
mention of the necessity in The Formulary's instructions.... Would it be
recommended?

Richard, thank you for posting this interesting information!

Jon Bailey