Re: Nelson's Gold Toner, further notes

Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 25 May 1999 12:39:26 -0700

At 06:53 AM 5/25/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Greetings-
>
>>>The theory for refixing, or one of them, is that some silver from the
>>>hypo-alum bath might lodge in the paper, and darken in time. By re-fixing
>>>that would be dissolved out.
> >>Judy
>
>>That makes sense. Both coventional hypo-alum and Nelson's have silver
>>dissolved in them and gain more when they are used.
> >Richard Knoppow
>
>I have often wondered about the necessity of re-fixing after Nelson's...
>but I use the hypo-alum sepia toner as well and have never re-fixed - no
>mention of the necessity in The Formulary's instructions.... Would it be
>recommended?
>
>Richard, thank you for posting this interesting information!
>
>Jon Bailey

  I just looked over the instructions for several versions of Hypo-Alum
sepia toner. None if them suggest refixing after toning. I am not sure why
Nelson does for his toner except it is enough different from the usual
hypo-alum toner to think there might be a reason. I am not a good enough
chemist to figure it out
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.