RE: Develop by Inspection, Was Re: Question about FX-2

Jerry Orabona (jorabona@jerryo.com)
Wed, 26 May 1999 11:12:59 -0400

Developing by inspection is an art not a science. Proficiency comes only
with experience. However there are several key factors to keep in mind.

1. There is no way to judge N from N+1 or other subtle changes in density.
The time and temperature method is more consistent when working to exacting
standards. On the other hand if you are pushing film don't quite know how
long to develop for inspection is a godsend.

2. You have to let your eyes adjust to the dark. You can not use a
light-tight tank {roll film}, turn the lights off just before inspecting the
film and expect to be able to see anything. Inspection development means
sitting in the dark for the entire development. It's not that much more
boring.

3. Don't use a short stop. A tank filled with plain water gives you
somewhere to put your film if while you inspect the rest of the batch.

4. Don't put the film too close to the safelight it will fog in under 30sec.

5. You can inspect small films. When doing so you are not judging a specfic
frame but the general contrast of the roll.

I have been developing film by inspection for almost 20 years. It is a very
handy tool when used within it's limits. Good Luck

Jerry Orabona
http://jerryo.com

http://kmcamera.com

The Clearance section is open. Follow the sale icon from the homepage