Re: Rice Paper

Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Thu, 27 May 1999 14:20:13 +0000

When I was looking for a japanese paper to print gum on, I found it
useful to order a sample packet from Daniel Smith, which allows you to
try a number of different papers without paying for whole sheets of
each. The samples are 4 inches square, big enough to do a little sample
print on each. Or if you like, just put them in water and see what
happens. In my experience, Hosho Professional was the worst of the ones
I tested; it turned to glop in water. Others don't dissolve but their
surfaces abrade in an unattractive way, and some are unaffected by water
but are too slick to take the gum emulsion well. You really have to try
each one to see how it behaves under the conditions you want to subject
it to.

Katharine Thayer