Re: Rice Paper

FotoDave@aol.com
Thu, 27 May 1999 21:47:06 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 5/27/99 11:08:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
nashcom@btinternet.com writes:

> I was in an art shop today, and noticed that they had some "Japanese Drawing
> and Writing Paper". It was rolled up and sealed in a pack, and the shop
> assistant wasn't very helpful. He told me he thought it was rice paper,
but
> said that it would disintegrate if placed in water -

I think the shop assistant is confusing the artist's rice paper, which has
nothing to do with rice, with a special paper used in wrapping candies or
possible almond cookies. The wrapping paper is made with rice, and it is
usually wrapped around soft candies so that the candies won't be sticky. You
don't need to unwrap it because the paper will melt in your mouth, and it is
rice anyway.

The artist's rice paper is stronger although the wet strength is still not
very high.

Dave S