Re: Nelson's Gold Toner, further notes

Kallitype (terryroth@earthlink.net)
Fri, 28 May 1999 08:54:12 -0700

> > Lead nitrate makes some fine bleaches, lead acetate too. (We're not
> > drinking it, you know.)
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > Judy

Lead nitrate is also a hazard, in combination with certain azides can
form a high explosive----a situation I exploited in my foolish youth,
making (1964) 4th of July noisemakers (PbAzide). The stuff went off as I
was scraping it from the petri dish, peeling back the skin from 2
fingers, burning my corneas, and scaring the hell out of the lab staff
at the Univ of Mich Med school (I was fired from my summer job as a lab
tech as a result). Oddly enough, I made a career until 1981 as a Lab
Director in Ann Arbor at the Institute for Social Research, but that's
another story.